Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Taking a break from the workload...

I probably won't get around to making any more long-winded posts for a while, since I'm in the middle of the "7th week sprint" here in school. With only 3 more weeks left in the quarter, time management becomes the key to getting all of the projects, homework, and tests done while still making time to see my beautiful wife and keeping my sanity.

A few random thoughts, though, before I dive back into my work:


  • LISP really is an elegant language. I've done a bit of dabbling with it in the past, but never really hammered on it before. With my Programming Languages class this quarter, though, we have a project to write a scaled down LISP interpreter. It wasn't until I really got to work with the inner guts of the language that I began to see how beautiful it really is. I can understand what the few LISP-heads I've known see in the language now, and I hope that I get to work with it more in the future.

  • My manga adventure continues in fits and starts. I've gotten a number of different volumes from the library in the last couple of weeks and I've been reading them when I've needed some kind of break from CS texts and programming. So far, a few gems and a few that have made me want to, as my brother Ed once put it, "invent a time machine to go back and stop myself from wasting my time with them". I'd especially like to get back the time I spent reading the first volume of "Fairie's Landing" - a book that I just didn't like at all. I'm glad it was free - I don't have to rant about how I'd like my money back.

  • On the other hand, the good ones have been REALLY good. The best of the bunch so far, in my opinion, is "Hikaru no Go", a book that has me wanting to learn how to play Go. It's funny, dramatic, and definitely different from a lot of other stuff I've read. This was probably the best comic book I've read in a long while. I suppose I'm getting cynical in my old age.

  • Mister Miracle and the New Gods animated on Cartoon Network last week made my night. I'm not a big fan of the Virman Vunderbar character - I would have liked to see a different villain there as a foil against Granny - maybe Dr. Bedlam or Tigra or something - but I loved the episode anyway.



That's it for now. Back to the grind.

No comments: